Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Pizza, Pizza!

I've found it! I've found it!


The 100% whole wheat pizza crust recipe I have been looking for has finally been found, and I am so excited to share it with you! I found the original recipe on the Tablespoon website, decided to "go for it," and am so joyful that I did.

This recipe was incredibly simple to make and produced a soft, yet firm crust

**Note: You must prepare the crust 45 minutes to an hour before your intended eating time so the bread dough can rise. As a working wife, I always hated hearing about a "perfect" pizza crust recipe that needed so much time to rise. If you are disappointed by the rise time I've just indicated, I'm sorry. Try preparing the dough on a weekend, freezing, and then using for a quick meal during the week.


Gather Your Ingredients

2.5 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
2 and 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar (for yeast) + 2 teaspoons sugar (for dough)

Necessary ingredients and materials for the yeast :-)

Necessary ingredients for the dough (sans yeast).

Order*

1. Proof your yeast by combining the yeast, water, and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a small bowl. Allow it to sit for five minutes.

2. In a larger bowl, combine the flour, salt, and remaining sugar. Make a well center and add the yeast mixture and olive oil.

3. Stir your mixture together until the dough comes together. Add remaining flour in 1 tablespoon increments so that the dough is no longer sticky.

4. Shape the dough into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and place in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes. The dough should double in size. (I placed mine in my oven's warming drawer. I've heard of others placing their dough in a 200*F oven.)

5. Once the dough has risen, punch it down, shape it into a ball, and smooth it out into a circle of your desired crust thickness. Let it rest for 10 minutes, although you can begin putting your desired toppings on it during this time. Have your handsome husband or loving children help you. At this time, preheat your oven to 500*F.




6. Finally, place your decked out pizza in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and your toppings are baked. 


*Directions are given the exact or almost exact wording as those on the website.



7. Let the pizza rest for 10 minutes before devouring.


God bless you and keep you,
~Raquel


3 comments:

  1. Now that's a meal fit for a king! Love that you found a recipe for 100% whole wheat! I will have to give this one a try as well! Thanks for sharing ... and you took some really great pictures of the pizza!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I often judge a pizza by its crust, and so I was quite happy that this one turned out well. It'll be my staple recipe until another one comes along.... :-)

      ~Raquel

      Delete
  2. That pizza looks really good I could eat right now lol

    ReplyDelete