Thursday, June 4, 2015

I'm Baaack!! And I'm NEVER Putting Away Laundry Again!

Three months ago, on March 4, the most adorable of God's creatures was born into our family.


I fumbled my way through the first few weeks of mommy hood, continually being humbled and amazed by my precious daughter and the responsibility of her care. Needless to say, I took a hiatus from blogging. I'm back now, though, and I am boldly proclaiming:

I am NEVER putting away laundry again!



Ha! That's a laugh.

Perhaps you clicked on this blog link because you thought I had some magical way to get the tumbled clothes in the dryer to their final destinations in closets and drawers-- folded, ironed, and hung with care. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Instead, this blog post is a response to my sister's blog article Never Washing Dishes Again, in which she confesses to dreading doing dishes and shares her sources of motivation to get the chore done anyway. She asks,
What is your least favorite chore? 
What do you do to push through and get the job done? 
Do you have a favorite chore?  
If you're like me and listen to music to help you, what's on your playlist? 
Could you share some scriptures or inspirational quotes that might help you w/ serving others and/or keeping things physically clean?
I'll answer the first two questions. Feel free to continue the discussion and answer any of her questions, as well!

My Clean House

I actually enjoy cleaning. I find such satisfaction in seeing a tidy home. Keeping an orderly house allows my family to spend the most quality time together.

But... if I were to choose the chore that is my least favorite, that dredges on and on, that I loathe completing... it would be....

Two loads of clothes sitting on my couch- just waiting for me.

Laundry- yuck!

I took this picture just a moment ago. Yes, friends and family. On my couch sits two loads of laundry from the day before. I will quite willingly put clothes into the wash machine. I eagerly switch them to the dryer. Once they are finished in the dryer, however, my motivation plummets to dire depths, and sometimes, they sit. And sit. And sit.

Cloth diapers that need to be folded and put away... in time.

I'm not sure why I dislike the chore so much, but it's like a mountain that I must summit daily without any energy, food, water, or even feet.... (Dramatic, I know.) haha

What to do? What to do?

Okay. So maybe putting away laundry isn't quite as dramatic as I make it seem, but that's only because I let it sit for eons of time before completing it. Here are my ways of dealing with the drudgery on a daily basis:

  • Envision the Final Result: Visualization is such an effective tool when one is motivated by end result, as I am. I picture my clothes folded/rolled neatly in their places or hanging with the other garments of their type and color.

  • Pray: 'Cause nothin' else will help! haha- Just kidding. As I put away clothing, I like to pray over the individual who will wear them. Who knew putting away laundry was a way to connect with my God and my family?

  • Wash Mini Loads: Normally, I would not recommend using the "mini" wash cycle on an electric, standard washing machine. Even a mini cycle uses gallons upon gallons of water. I have a monster of a washer, that dances all over the floor if I do too large of a load. In order to avoid a hose breaking and flooding the floor with water (as has happened twice already), I have to wash smaller loads. As a result, I have fewer clothes to put away at one time, and it becomes much more manageable. You can also buy manual washing machines, like this one or this one, that wash smaller loads at a time, too, but use less water.

  • Use a Clothes Line: I am not currently using a clothes line; I have in the past, and I have plans to use one in the future. The beauty of clothes lines is that you can take your wet clothes out of the washer and put some of them on a hanger to dry. Once the warm sunshine has dried your clothes, brightened them, and saved you money on your electricity bill, simply switch the hanged shirt, skirt, etc from the line to your closet. I have also found that, for clothing you cannot put on a hanger to dry, being on a clothes line still helps because you can see all the socks lined up- no need to search for a match. Plus, you're dealing with just one item at a time. AND you're in the gorgeous outdoors. Win-win.

  • Positive Perspective: My sister "Lady H" mentioned this same idea in her blog post, but it's of such significance, I feel the need to reiterate it in my own post. When I don't want to put away the laundry, I remind myself of 1) how grateful I am to have clothing and 2) how having clean, organized clothing blesses my family and gives us more quality time together.

Now that I've defended putting away laundry...

I guess it's time for me to go put away those three loads from yesterday.

God bless you and keep you,
~Raquel




4 comments:

  1. Haha, what a loaded post girl! You've covered a lot of territory in a short few words! First... congrats on the sweetest baby, just love her so much, and so thrilled about her entrance into the world, and into our lives! She makes my day whenever I can see her!

    As far as the dreaded chore question... I had to think about this. There are several that I dread... putting away dishes (I really don't mind washing them... go figure?), the sweeping/vacuuming/mopping chore (we have two dogs, and their hair drives me crazy.. and it never ever ends!) and like you, I don't have a problem starting the laundry... but getting it finished and put away - that drags too! (I have a load of laundry in the dryer waiting to be folded!) LOL... tips about getting it done?... I love all your tips...and the only thing I could add is this... one thing that usually gets me going and doing is remembering this saying "the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step... so just begin!"... really it is that simple. I think just getting started is the key, and the rest goes quickly!

    Great post dear friend, and I will be hopping over to your sister's blog to say hi to her too! Thanks for letting me know she has started a blog :)

    Hope your day is wonderful, blessed and that you are contentedly looking at a couch with no laundry on it by now... heeheheehee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree that just getting started is key! My couch is clear of laundry and my diapers are put away, too. But now I have a chair of laundry.... haha... (a different load than the one that was on the couch). Admittedly, I would have put that laundry away right at the time it came out, but Abigail needed my attention. The rest, as they say, is history... haha :-)

      Thanks for commenting! I'm hoping to blog more often now, though, I believe we have some major changes coming up, so we'll see if I do!
      ~Raquel

      Delete
  2. Your baby is so beautiful. She a blessing From God. Laundrys can be a lot of works at time. I think you doing a good job being a mom. I miss talking to u . How your family been?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby is so beautiful. She a blessing From God. Laundrys can be a lot of works at time. I think you doing a good job being a mom. I miss talking to u . How your family been?

    ReplyDelete