Thursday, June 11, 2015

5 Perspectives to Have if You "Go to Church" {#4}

If you missed any posts in this series, 

you can read perspective 1 (the purpose of gathering together) here

perspective 2 (the church as a people) here,

perspective 3 (who we are, not what we do) here

and perspective 5 (servant leadership) here.


"Going to church" is largely viewed as what Christians "do."

In fact, a recent article shared 5 Spiritual Dangers of Skipping Church. According to this article, Christians who skip or do not attend a "church" 
  1. "Miss out on God's primary design for your spiritual growth and well being"
  2. "Disobey God"
  3. "Make a statement to the world that God is not worthy of worship"
  4. "Can't minister to anyone"
  5. "Skip out on a foretaste of heaven"
Wow. Those are some pretty bold claims-- especially when these claims are only supported by three scriptures in the entire article. I could go point-by-point discussing with Biblical evidence each one. 

I will not do that, however. The point is not to prove or disprove someone's theology. The point is to have the faith of Christ (Galations 2:20), and to cling to His doctrine (Romans 6:17, 16:17, Ephesians 4:14)! My prayer is, "Show me Your ways, O Lord! Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth, and teach me because YOU are the God of my salvation" (Psalm 25:4-5). As Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 2:2, "I am determined to know nothing- save Christ and Him crucified." We can only stand on the rock of Jesus.

Google Image

With that in mind, I would like to share with you 5 perspectives one should keep in mind if you "go to church." I will share these perspectives one by one in a series- since they are generally lengthy. This post discusses perspective 4.




4. Accountability Before God

{On our faith page, I have uploaded a study document about accountability according to Hebrews 13:17. If you would like more on this topic of "accountability before God," please see that document.}

Samuel was the prophet over the nation of Israel when the elders of the land came to him and said, "Make us a king like all the nations" (1 Samuel 8:5). The people wanted someone to look up to; they wanted someone that could tell them what to do when they faced difficult circumstances in life. They wanted a king of flesh to worship and to give loyalty. They wanted a man that would go to battle for them, leading the way with courage and a plan-- someone to take responsibility for them. When Samuel went to the Lord with the matter, God said, "... They have not rejected thee, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them" (1 Samuel 8:7).

Human nature has not changed since that time. People are still clamoring for a king that they can see with their eyes and hear audibly with their ears on every occasion. They are still looking for someone to take responsibility for their lives, to stand before the throne of God and plead our cause. Many Christians place their trust in a spiritual leader, such as a pastor, priest, or pope-- causing him to be king. In fact, I have heard it preached that one's pastor will stand before God with you and give account for you. Others may believe that their father or their husband will "do the talking," so to say, on judgment day. (More on these leaders' roles in tomorrow's post, perspective 5: Servant Leadership.)

Is this true? Will a "king" stand before God for me and give account of my life? Who is responsible before God for me? Let's look at scripture....

Romans 14:12 clearly says, "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God" (KJV).

Jesus says in Matthew 12:36 that every man will give account for his idle words in the day of judgment. 

1 Peter 4:5 indicates that those who are doing evil things will have to give account for themselves to God.

Scriptures seem to explicitly point to ME. I will stand before God and give account of myself-- no one else. Every man must give account for himself.

If I am to have leadership in my life, I must also have the knowledge that that leader is NOT my king and does not give account for my soul. The implication of this perspective in a "if you go to church" setting is that I am not to bribe, "get in good with," or elevate a man in hopes he will cover me in the judgment day. I am not to concern myself with following a particular man or doctrine/tradition of man for fear of him giving a "bad" account of me before God. Another man's prayers, devotion to God, or study cannot replace mine.

Only Jesus can be the mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5). Rather than thrusting the responsibility of our souls upon another PERSON, let us fall upon the rock of Jesus Christ- God Himself- and seek to know Him for ourselves. He alone can save and have mercy that covers the guilty.

It is not enough for God to know my pastor, priest, or any other leader in my life. He must know ME!

Expose me, Lord, to YOU. Search the inner workings of my heart. Cleanse me through and through. Let me know You, and may You know me. When I stand before You, I want you to remember me, our relationship. I want you to see the fruit YOU produced in my life. See only Your blood, Your love covering the multitude of my sins. Change me so that I reflect you, and so that my life brings glory to Your name.

The thought is sobering. I humbly say,

God bless you and keep you,
~Raquel




2 comments:

  1. Incredibly powerful message! Truth from the scriptures loud and clear! You did a marvelous job explaining the concept that we are responsible for our own salvation... "work out your salvation with fear and trembling".... indeed, the concept of an idol/king/lord/ruler can easily be translated into "pastor" for many... I've seen it myself way too many times. It takes work to weed out of our hearts the desire to place our hope in a human being, instead of Christ. It seems it is a natural tendency of human nature to have idolatry which is simply worship of anything that is not God. It takes work to focus our hearts on worship, and adoration of Jesus in all things, and not to give that glory to another... namely man... namely a king... namely a pastor! No... our hope alone is in Jesus. I look forward to your next post, servant leadership, because I am sure you will, through the word of God, show where anyone in leadership is not considered a ruler in God's kingdom... but a servant ... just judging by the title of your anticipated next post... much love to you my friend, and may God continue to bless your writing for His glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I wrote and rewrote my "servant leadership" post a few times. At one point, I had exactly what you say here about exalting a man (like a pastor) is idolatry.... But that point was gutted when I rewrote it for the millionth time. haha... And I still feel like I didn't get my point across clearly or use nearly enough examples from scripture. It was about 10pm when I started writing it, 2am when I was finishing it. We had a long day! haha...

      Ah, well... I know the Lord works on the hearts of men. He doesn't need my words! :-)
      ~Raquel

      Delete