Monday, January 12, 2015

32 Weeks Pregnancy Update!

The time of our darling child's arrival is approaching quickly, and this mama-to-be is still getting settled in her new home. 32 weeks of pregnancy completed and counting! I have LOTS to share in this pregnancy update!

December 25, 2014-- photography from a friend

All About Baby

Our sweet child is 32 weeks old and will be 33 weeks old either this Wednesday or this Friday. 

At 22-23 weeks, we had our first ultrasound. My husband and I considered our options for finding out baby's gender. Ultimately, we decided that, since this child is our first and because we are only having one ultrasound, we would like to know the baby's gender so that the technician can point everything out to us on the ultrasound. During the ultrasound, our baby was active as ever-- kicking and moving about. 


The baby gave us plenty of opportunities to see that.... SHE'S a GIRL! She is definitely the sweetest, cutest darling I have ever (sort of) seen. During the ultrasound, she was sucking in amniotic fluid with adorable pursed lips. At one point, she also yawned, which stole mine and her daddy's heart.

Everything on the ultrasound looked "perfect" in the words of the technician. We are so excited to meet our daughter whenever she arrives. Judging by her movements in my womb, I know what a spirited, active child we are about to have. Thankfully, she will have the majority of my time and devotion with my new occupation-- stay at home wife/mom!

Now that we know her gender, we have also chosen a name. I will create a separate post with her name and the story(ies) behind her name soon.

All About Mama-To-Be

Some women hate pregnancy and find it miserable.... I am definitely NOT one of those women! I feel great. I feel like I look great. I am enjoying my pregnancy thus far-- and I'm almost through. The Lord has been very good to me to give me a healthy child, a healthy pregnancy, and peace!

At my last appointment, I am measuring right on target (still a little on the smaller side). I have gained one pound each week of the last two months.

December 25, 2014-- photography from a friend
I have had a few rough spots in the pregnancy.... In my first trimester, I experienced all day morning sickness and extreme motion sickness. The sickness completely went away two days into my second trimester. Hallelujah! In my second trimester, I was also working full time and experienced chronic fatigue. Toward the end of my second trimester, I decided to visit the chiropractor to get aligned for an optimal labor and birthing experience. Interestingly, the thermal scan revealed that several vertebrae in my back and neck were misaligned and could cause chronic fatigue. After about three weeks of consistent chiropractic care, my bed time began to become normal again.

This third trimester, though, has been so occupied with the move to north Idaho and trying to become settled in a home that I've scarcely had a moment to think about what's going on with the pregnancy. Of course, I am ever aware of our sweet daughter;'s presence, but I have not thought about how I'm feeling or what may be going on with my body. I feel like my normal self-- just with a belly.

Unfortunately, I am not quite my normal self, although I am not experiencing anything too terrible. 

At my most recent midwife prenatal appointment (more on the midwife next!), I learned that I am anemic. My iron levels were 9 (units unknown), which is below the normal 12 (units unknown). My midwife recommended that I take Floradix Iron + Herbs. She will be reassessing my iron levels at my next appointment (two weeks from last appointment). My midwife said that she looks at a pregnant woman's iron levels to determine how she will do in the postpartum period.

My midwife also recommended that I consume more protein. She likes a pregnant woman to consume at least 60-80g of protein a day. She uses the Garden of Life Raw Meal (vanilla flavor) and recommended it to me, so I bought a large container of it. At first, I found that I was having to supplement with the raw meal at least twice a day. (If you are wondering, yes! It is tasty.) Since becoming more aware of my protein intake, however, I have not had to take the raw meal the last two days. I have made my breakfasts larger to include an egg, oatmeal, and fruit with peanut butter. I am trying to eat more meat than I usually would, too. So far, my protein has been over 60g each day.

In addition to the iron + herbs supplement and raw meal protein, I drink my red raspberry leaf tea religiously and take my Garden of Life raw prenatal not so consistently. I began drinking one cup of red raspberry leaf tea every day at 20 weeks. Since 30 weeks, I have tried to drink a double brew of the tea daily. My midwife says I will begin drinking large batches of the tea starting at 35 weeks. As for my Garden of Life raw prenatal... out of sight, out of mind, unfortunately. Our new, but temporary home is very small. I put the prenatals in a cabinet and continued to forget to take them. Now, I have put them on the counter top, and I am beginning to take them again. I was taking cod liver oil; however, we accidentally left the bottle in the refrigerator when we moved from Texas to Idaho.

Last of all, I have just recently (within the past two weeks) begun experiencing mild to severe right rib pain. One night in particular was extremely painful, and I could not fall asleep for the longest time. I looked up this symptom, and apparently it is a common complaint in late pregnancy. As the uterus pushes up and out, my poor ribs have very few places to retreat to.  The pain is not constant throughout the day and usually only comes in the evening. I have found that lifting my right arm above my head helps relieve the pain. Also, in severe circumstances, I kneel on my knees with my knees and head on the ground in an A frame of sorts. I find a lot of relief in that position. I'm hoping that going to the chiropractor regularly will also relieve this pain.

My youngest sister built a pregnant snow woman for me. I think her belly may be bigger than mine, but hey-- we look good together! haha :-)

All About Our Situation (Pregnancy Related)

Our first midwife was not willing to travel from Texas to Idaho for the birth of our daughter (haha-- we were not expecting her to), so we had to find a new midwife in the area. Thankfully, north Idaho moms often use a midwife, and so we had several women to choose from. The Lord brought our current midwife, Kim, into our focus shortly after we moved. You can find information about her and her care on her website. We are loving the experience and knowledge she is bringing to this pregnancy. She is also faith-based, and we feel very comfortable with her.

In Texas, we were planning a homebirth. Since moving to Idaho, we have been living in a motor home (without running water). I thought I might give birth in a birthing center. The nearest birthing center is over an hour away, though, which may not be the most comfortable or safest ride of my life.... We are planning to move into a new home (hopefully within the week), and we will have our midwife travel to our home for our desired homebirth.

Also, with the move and the holidays, my husband and I have found ourselves in one another's company all day long. What a treat!! In a way, we are experiencing an unplanned babymoon. I'm not sure if we will have an official babymoon with our precious girl coming soon and with the expense of the move. The time with my wonderful husband has been priceless!

Until Next Time...

Be on the look out for the story of our daughter's name. I would also like to share our birth plan and vision in a future post.

God bless you and keep you,
~Raquel

10 comments:

  1. I am loving all the fun pictures of you in Idaho and the pregnant snowwoman was sooo cute! Very creative! And the picture of Baby Hilller is just darling, so exciting to see a glimpse of your little one! Enjoy that babymoon, you will be thankful you did once little one arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced she's going to be the cutest baby girl I've ever seen! What I'm really looking forward to, though, is seeing her and Zac interact. What a blessing to see the two dearest people in the world to me also love one another. :*)

      Delete
  2. Congrats I know you will give her amazing name. Are you exited your goig be a mom soon?How life idaho so far? I miss u I hope we get to talk soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be publishing a post soon with her name and the story behind it.

      I'm VERY EXCITED! I am looking forward to nourishing and nurturing my small family. I'm not quite ready for it, though... We currently live in a motor home and are looking for a new home to move into before she comes.

      Life in Idaho is beautiful so far! I will be publishing an article on that soon, so stay tuned. :-)

      I hope you're doing well, Amanda!
      ~Raquel

      Delete
    2. God will help y'all though this n give y'all eveything y'all need for the baby on the way.I'm glad you exited about living back idaho n being with family n friends.

      Yes I will stay tune for more I'm glad u do this updates its so amazing to know what God is doing in your life.

      Yes I'm doing well . I'm now a full time student n so far is going good but I just start last Monday but I be ok cuz I have God on my side.

      Its so good to hear from you I miss u Raqual

      Delete
    3. Being a full time student is a lot of work, so congratulations and good luck! I enjoyed my time as a student.

      Delete
  3. I know you will be a awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome you seem really happy to be a mom

    ReplyDelete