Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Couple of Cookies {Apple Oatmeal Chocolate Chip}

After my husband and I had our Shabbath service Friday evening, we invited my family and good friends over for dessert. (Teach your children- and possibly yourself- how to distinguish dessert from desert: remember 'ss' for super sweet!)

My parents and our friend's daughter were the only ones able to come over, so we missed everyone else. But... I enjoyed the company of those who could come.

The original plan was to serve sorbet; however. I had a cookie recipe I wanted to try, and my sweet man wanted Abuelita hot chocolate, so... Bam. Plan changed. :-) We're so flexible. Haha

The cookies were a hit! I called mine 'Apple Oatmeal Chocolate Chip' cookies. They tasted 'light' and had a 'nice flavor,' as my guests remarked. The almond extract also gives them a delicious scent and flavor. And they were all gone by the end of the evening- proof of their tastiness.

You can find the original recipe here, as I did change just a few parts in my version posted in this blog.



First, gather all your ingredients and kitchen tools. For this cookie recipe, you will need:

Tools

-large mixing bowl
-stirring stick/whisk or hands
-cookie sheet (I used natural stone)
-preheated oven to 375*F

Ingredients

-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
-1.5 cup oats
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-one egg
-1/2 cup softened butter
-1/2 cup honey
-an apple, chopped into bite size pieces
-1/4 cup dark chocolate chip morsels (optional)
-3/4 tsp cinnamon 
-1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)


Not the prettiest picture, but you know what's next-- put it all together in your large mixing bowl. I used my hands and the whisk. {I love using my hands to mash and mix. As I do, I pray that those who eat the cookies will feel the love I have for them and that God would bless them.}

Order

1. Mash/mix the butter, honey, and egg together.

2. Dump the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and almond extract on top & mix it all in.

3. Pour in the oatmeal, apple pieces, and dark chocolate chips and mix.


Yummy time! 

Place the cookies as rounded drops on a cookie sheet and bake in a 375*F oven for 8-10 minutes (if using a regular aluminum-like sheet) or 13-15 minutes (if using natural stone, as I did). The cookies should be slightly golden.

Allow the cookies to cool and settle for about 5 minutes before you dive in & enjoy.

Please let me know if you try these cookies out. I think they'd be a nice breakfast cookie, as well.

God bless you and keep you,
~Raquel

This post has been shared on The HomeAcre Hop!

4 comments:

  1. The almond extract really sounds amazing paired with the apples and cinnamon! I would love to give these a try, and will let you know how long they last at my house :D Glad you all had a good time, and sorry I couldn't be there! Your pictures of the apple cookies looked so yummy I could almost taste them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used almond extract because I didn't have vanilla; however, I find that almond extract seems to work well with just about anything dessert-ish. Mmm... delicious! Please let me know when you bake these cookies... I'll be over. haha Just kidding.

    ~Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this type of cookie before - they sound delicious! Thanks for submitting to the HomeAcre hop. Heidi @ Pint Size Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! They were quite good, although I only had a chance to eat two of them. My guests ate the rest! haha :-)

      My husband does not like the texture of cooked oatmeal, so I was thinking about making these cookies again as a breakfast cookie.

      ~Raquel

      Delete