Thursday, January 29, 2015

Home is With the Heart {Video Tour + Pictures!}

Putting our home together has been such a pleasure the past week. I am so blessed to have space, amenities (like running water!), and furnishings.

The real blessing, however, lies in the knowledge that home is where the heart is. My heart is with my husband and our soon to be Earth-side Abigail. I feel so honored to be responsible for the care and overall environment of the place they rest, eat, play, learn, and live. God is truly good!

Without further ado, here's an updated video tour of our home. (Please ignore my breathlessness-- 35 weeks pregnant....) Pictures follow the video along with an explanation of various areas & God's provisions since moving in.



The Living Area

God has extremely blessed us with furnishings for our living area. Remember what it used to look like? We were given both couches (or love seats, rather), and I find that they fit nicely in our home.

Since taking these photographs, we have also been blessed with a free maple rocking chair with brown cushions that I've placed in the living room. I'm sure you'll see it in a photograph one day.

Although I would like to add end tables, book shelves, and plants-- lots and lots of plants-- we are currently using a piano stool for one end table. When the weather warms and my father's trailer can climb their steep driveway, we will also get the piano that belongs with the stool.


We have also been blessed with a dining room table that has two leafs. We prefer the longer length of the table, but the table could be made smaller, if necessary. I bought the table at a thrift shop for $30. Unfortunately, the table's chairs were sold separately to another customer, so I am still in search of chairs. In the meantime, we are using our friend's metal chairs and camping chairs!


Finally, our living area contains a vintage sewing machine table with a (I believe) 1913 White Rotary sewing machine. After clearing the machine of a few nuts and Lincoln Logs, we found that the machine does in fact turn on. A thorough cleaning is necessary before I'll attempt to use it, however. I found this jewel at a thrift shop and bargained the price down to $25.

I absolutely love its older style, dark wood, and even the blemishes on the wood's surface. I have placed two plants that were given as a house warming gift, our wedding unity roses, a clock from my husband's mother, and a cute blue platter that I've only served cookies on thus far.


Abigail's Room/Guest Room

Abigail's room/the guest room is basically finished for furniture, although I would love to decorate the walls and perhaps add a bookshelf. We have recently added a black rocking chair that I found at a thrift shop for $30; (I had bought this black rocker before we were given the brown rocker that is now in the living room). I have draped a blanket my sister made over its back and placed two teddy bears- one from my husband to me and one from my husband's mother to her soon-to-be-born granddaughter- on its seat.

We also have added a full or queen size black futon that I found on Craigslist for $50. When family comes to visit, they will have a place to sleep. The pink blanket draped across the futon is a gift from Abigail's grandmother to Abigail. I have placed several books for Abigail in the sides of the futon and in a blue bin next to the rocking chair. How fun it will be to read her stories- during the day, in the afternoon, in the evening, and at night! ;-)


Ah! And the other side of Abigail's room! I added a few decorations to the top of the wardrobe and placed all the baby hangers on the rod; (we'll see if I use them). As for everything else (ie the boxes of "stuff" in the corner), those are craft and office supplies that I believe will go in the laundry room once I have a table there for crafts. I don't want to unpack them without a place to put them.... So for now, Abigail's room will do. :-)


The Kitchen

Not much has changed in the kitchen! Again, I love keeping the kitchen clean, free of clutter and appliances, and functional.



I have added a couple of birthday cards from my mother-in-law and my grandparents to the side counter top. For the time being, our laptops are also being stored next to this counter top. I'm not sure where I'll put them otherwise....


The Laundry Room/Pantry

Our pantry is filling up with items like flours, peanut butter, noodles, and canned tomatoes. The Lord has been providing food; yummy! My future plan is to fill it with goods that I have personally canned. It's a very large shelf.


We were blessed with this high chair for Abigail off of Craigslist for free. Since she does not need a high chair yet, we are storing the high chair in the laundry room.

My parents also own this inversion table. Since they are not currently using it, we have brought it into the laundry room, and my husband uses it at least twice daily to decompress his back. I have also stored a couple boxes of books in the laundry room since we do not have a book shelf yet.


And now for the other side of the laundry room.... :-) (Excitement!) I JUST found out that we are being blessed with a washer and dryer for free!! I am so thankful, as I have been looking for those two appliances in particular on Craigslist without much fortune. Our thoughtful midwife reached out to her friends, and the washer and dryer are a blessing as a result of her efforts.

For now, we have two seats that belong in our van in the laundry room. We also have a large white shelf unit where I currently keep cleaning supplies and extra linens/sheets/blankets/pillows.


The Bathroom

Nothing has changed here except for a few pictures on the counter space.



Our Bedroom

In our bedroom, we have added an end table that I found at a thrift shop for $10 and a chair that we already had. The original idea was to put the end table beside the bed, but with the tight positioning, only this arrangement would do. 

Do you notice the bed, though?? It's OFF THE GROUND!!!!! We were given a full size box spring for free off of Craigslist, and we are using our friend's bed frame. If you could only understand how so much more comfortable this arrangement is.

I would like to get one or two small dressers that can fit in our closet for our folded clothes. For now, I am using a duffel bag, a plastic bin, and two white cloth baskets.



That's that!

And the conclusion of the whole matter.... Wow! We are blessed. I feel so tremendously the blessings of the Lord and the generosity He has given others. We have paid very little to furnish our home, and I do not feel in (true) need of anything. Dining table chairs and book shelves would be nice, but they are definitely not necessary at this time. I am just so thankful that God provides for us and continues to pour out His provisions!!

As I see the generosity of others, I am reminded to also be generous towards others. Being a neighbour is not limited to only those who live next door to us. A neighbour is one who willing offers himself or herself as a vessel of blessing to another. 

God bless you and keep you, friend,
~Raquel

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tour of your home - things have come together so quickly for you - it surely is the hand of the Lord just blessing your family! So thankful for all the things He has provided for you!!!!! Your decorating style is very creative at making different pieces all work together and look so special!!!! I enjoyed the cup of hot tea the other day with you and seeing all the things the Lord has added to your home, and what special fellowship we can have as we talk about His many blessings! May the Lord continue to bless you both richly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless with so much n He keep on blessing you n your family. Y'all did a great job on y'all house. May God be with you n your whole family.

    ReplyDelete