Thursday, January 8, 2015

Summing Up Autumn 2014

Long time, no see friends!

Life has been busy and full this past Autumn with teaching at the elementary school and expecting our sweet child. We've had some HUGE changes, but since I have not blogged in so long... I will have to make all our updates in separate posts. Stay tuned!

Escaping the Stress

If I could sum up Autumn 2014 with few words, I would say "stressed, but blessed." With my first year of teaching came lots of personal and professional growth opportunities, which I welcomed wholeheartedly. I have a choleric personality, and I am always striving to be efficient, productive, take initiative, and become a better person.

That being said, I experienced excessive fatigue through constant working and trying to grow a baby at the same time. By November, I was going to bed around 6pm-- completely exhausted upon lying down and upon rising the next morning.

The only way I could stay sane was to keep a balance between work and home. I started leaving work earlier and earlier to counter balance my earlier and earlier bed time. After leaving work, I would come home and my husband and I would try to get out and go somewhere to walk around and such. We went to several parks and green spaces to help clear my head and relax before I would be heading to bed....


The Farm

One of the places we enjoyed going was to a farm just north of our home. We bought our milk, butter, eggs, and kefir from the farm and also enjoyed petting some of the animals.




Down South....

We also enjoyed going down toward the coast and visiting with my husband's mom and family.










The Arboretum

Our community had a large arboretum that we regularly visited. The arboretum consisted of a planted/planned garden and flower area with several acres of wild plants, tall trees, and trails. 








The Woodlands

The river walk in the Woodlands is a beautiful man-made green space (although, admittedly, there is a lot of concrete, too). The river walk is often lit by trees wound with lights. During the holiday season, we also enjoyed seeing multi-colored water fountains that played holiday tunes.










And Just Around Town

We spent time just hanging around town-- Hermann Memorial Park, Old Town Spring, and the like.








Stressed, but Blessed

So cliche, I know... but how else can I describe a time in my life that was filled with such stretching and growing? Change can be stressful, but it can also be a blessed time.

I am so thankful for my sweet husband leading our family and helping me to keep my perspective balanced and positive. When I didn't feel confident in my abilities to teach well-- when I mourned not being able to make our home ours (for lack of energy)-- when I was upset with myself for being so tired and forgetful, he loved me and encouraged me. What a darling man he is! 

And how so like our Savior.... Jesus looks at the inward man and considers our nature. He does not nitpick our shortcomings or cause more tension on stress. Rather, He is our peace and calm and strength. He teaches us through the seasons of our life and loves us unconditionally as we change as a result of His loving influence. I am so thankful for the way of the Lord! He is so good.

I hope that when you experience seasons of stress, that you, too, find the blessings and balance. Life is often experienced in seasons, and you may not dwell in the same season for long. Trust in God and lean on His understanding!

God bless you and keep you,
~Raquel

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures of your times together enjoying the beauty of the Lord's creation - it is the best entertainment there is, in my opinion, and the best way to relieve stress as well! Glad to see you back blogging, have certainly missed your posts :) Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete