Thursday, May 12, 2016

Sowing Seeds

These are a few buckeyes we found nestled composted leaves underneath a horse chestnut tree. We took several home and sowed them, and now we have little trees growing!!
When the snow still insulated the ground, I bought a green notebook and pulled out my garden books. January might not be a good time to plant a garden, but it is an excellent time to plan one! And now that it is the end of April, I have begun to seriously put some of those plans into action.

We are in a somewhat garden-limbo because we are not yet moved to our own homestead yet. (Currently, we rent a spot on my parents' property.) We are expecting to be on our own property soon, so I definitely don't want to plant a permanent garden here. I was blessed with strawberry and raspberry plants, which I replanted into containers and have already set outside.

I've waited as long as I possible can to start seeds, but I can't wait any longer or risk my growing season being too short. My amazing husband agreed to me buying a "greenhouse" container ($7 at Wal-Mart) in which to start seeds. Today, I opened up my heirloom seed packets and began sowing them in the greenhouse container. Yippee!

I planted a variety of vegetables, but mostly the ones that have a longer growing season. These are the seed varieties I planted today:

-Black Krim tomatoes
-Kootenai tomatoes
-Early JalapeƱo peppers
-Red & Green Lettuce
-Eggplant
-Scarlet Emperor Bean
-Summer Squash
-Jarrahdale Squash Pumpkin

Look at this beautiful strawberry plant! It's starting to get flowers, which will in turn produce-- STRAWBERRIES!
Yum, yum! I LOVE the garden season. Sowing the seeds is exciting because I anticipate what I will be eating mid to late Summer or early Fall. When we reach our last frost date, I will sow more seed varieties directly into the ground.

Oh, Jesus! Please bless our efforts and vive the increase in our garden. I know You are the Giver of life to all creatures and plant forms. Thank You for creating good things for us to eat and for the amazing process these plants go through to produce food for us. I am so grateful for Your provision, and I know that You will use this garden's produce to supply our needs. Please give us an abundance so that we might share with neighbors and strangers. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

God's blessings on your endeavors,
~Raquel

Written: April 22, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment