Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Cherries & Chances

With two young'uns, you can imagine that any productivity beyond the dishes washed and dinner made is a rarity. Of course, I exaggerate the lack of productivity. But it's to make a statement: relative to everyyyything that needs to be done, very little is checked off the 'mama-do' list.

That being said, it's taken me three different sessions to pit and de-stem about twenty pounds of deep red Bing cherries. But. It. Is. Finally. DONE! Tedious, sticky, tempting work, my friends.

Suspiciously, only twelve pounds made it to their bags after having the box out on the countertop within easy access of everyone for a week. Yes... eight fresh juicy pounds of cherries just... gone! Disappeared. Mysterious, indeed.

;-) (Don't ask about Abigail's bowel movements this week... But, if you need a natural diuretic, I may have a suggestion for you.)

Today, I began the second stage of preserving, the part that gives me such a thrill and sense of achievement.

Cherry jam with honey. Whole cherries for pies, cobblers, and ice cream. Cherry juice for flavoring kombucha and a special Friday night beverage. Dehydrated cherries for baking and trail mix. And... drum roll, please.... cherry vanilla fruit leather-- my first attempt!

Doesn't that list just make you roll your eyes in delight?

I have finished the first two-- five twenty ounce jars of jam and almost a gallon of whole cherries.

In the process of making the jam, I had a thought. First, I specifically pitted the cherries. Then, I roughly chopped the pitted cherries. I found three cherry pits! Finally, I boiled the chopped cherries. And found two more pits!! Three chances, three opportunities, to make sure my jam is pit-free.

And look at us, we're still alive. We still have the opportunity each day that we're breathing to submit to God or resist Him. How many chances do you need to say, 'I need the fullness of Who You are to change who I am?'

'For in Him we live and move and have our being....' (Acts 17:28).

Life has purpose and passion and peace when it's founded in our Saviour, Yeshua/Jesus the Messiah! 

Why wait until you're chopped? Why wait until you're boiling in the pot? Or maybe you're in the midst of this discomfort now. Don't wait for another moment. You have THIS MOMENT, THIS chance to say,

'Create in me a clean heart, Oh God! Renew a right spirit within me' (Psalm 51).

Will you say, 'God take me. Separate me from this pit of destruction-- sin in whatever form it is-- that I've allowed to be the core of who I am! Lead me in Your paths. Teach me Your ways. My faith is on You, God! I will follow You wholeheartedly today.'

He's calling you now. Will you submit to Him?

'Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners, and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up' (James 4:7-10).

God bless you and keep you,
-Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment