Sunday, June 11, 2017

Realities

Do most people keep their dashboards dusted? I asked my husband, as I considered the thick tan coating ours.

His look was one of compassion. I opened the console and grabbed the dusting wipes to begin what hadn't been done in months.

Our upbringing affects the perspectives and mentalities we have as adults. Sometimes, we don't even realize we perceive a particular way until some enlightening event.

Deplorable conditions, not just poor, but beyond poverty. These words have adhered themselves to me like sourdough on a wooden spoon.

When I first met my husband, I was a foolish fourteen year old girl. He and members of our church were helping my family move from one home to another. I found a cooking pot hidden away, and in it, mold growing rampant. I was excitedly disgusted and showed it to everyone. (Foolish, I said.) The point is that the pot didn't have to go unwashed. Even if its contents had been burned to it, the pot could have been soaked. Or thrown out, if it was beyond hope.

The pot never had to reach the point of growing mold. Poverty was not an excuse; we had running water. Physical ability was not an excuse; all the other dishes were able to be washed. So why was the pot left in unacceptable conditions?

I find myself remembering bits of my childhood since those words were said to me. A childhood that has been mostly presenting a black and blank reel suddenly has clips of movement and voice to play for me.

I keep a mostly organized home and clean daily. Our lifestyle is functional, and we are happy. But every now and then, I recognize instances when the way I live is less than acceptable and can be easily remedied. They don't have to stay unacceptable.

One person said to me once, 'I feel like you make do with a lot of stuff that's only halfway workable.'

I now understand: this 'stuff' could easily and cheaply be made completely workable. The realization of this mentality in my lifestyle is oddly refreshing. And it's hard to describe it in words.

I feel like it's a turning point in my past.... Helps me to move on.

God bless you and keep you,
-Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment